Keeping SPS Safe
SPS Campus Safety Department
- investigating criminal actions determined to be on school district property and/or buses
- providing emergency communication and coordination, management of crisis plans and training of Campus Resource Officers in coordination with City of Spokane Police Department and Spokane County Sheriff's Office
- overseeing silent building security monitoring of district facilities.
The members of the Campus Safety department are always looking for ways to improve. Take a look at some of the things we are doing now.
Ongoing and past work
- Crisis Intervention Training required for all officers
- Restorative Practices trainings
- Youth Police Initiative -- an SPD initiative to help develop positive relationships with kids
- Northwest Gang Task Force -- officers receive a deep understanding of gang culture and members
- Every officer is trained in First Aid/CPR/AED
- training on "Policing the Adolescent Brain"
- Effective Team Building training by GU consultant Jason Swain
- Participating with Police Athletic League, a summer program run by SPD to develop positive relationships between officers and kids
We're also excited about:
- Having a Single Secure Point of Entry at each school, allowing office staff to make sure everyone entering the building has a good reason for being there
- New video and surveillance equipment
- Our Visitor Badge Pass system that checks visitors' names against the Washington state sex offender database, in addition to a "restricted individual" database. Restricted individuals include those who are not allowed on school property, or who have a court order prohibiting their contact with an employee or student.
- Offering ZPass and Bus Tracker to families of students who ride the bus so they can know when their child gets on and off the bus, and also where their bus is at any given moment
- Adding shatter resistant film on school windows